Are you passionate about Baseball?
Baseball Canada is searching for a Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The CEO reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for elevating baseball as a sport in Canada through creating and delivering on Baseball Canada’s vision and mission. Are you an experienced leader with an entrepreneurial drive and the ability to engage your team? Do you have a background in business or sports administration?
Baseball Canada, located in Ottawa, Ontario, is the national governing body for baseball in Canada and is made up of 10 provincial associations representing players, coaches and umpires nationwide. Baseball Canada is a member of both the Canadian Olympic Committee and the World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC). It is funded and recognized by Sport Canada and Canadian Heritage and is recognized by Revenue Canada as having charitable status.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) reports to the Board of Directors and has overall managerial responsibility for the organization, provides leadership and direction to staff to ensure the development and delivery of quality programs aligns with the vision, mission, and values of the organization. The CEO is accountable for directing the affairs of the organization in conformity with federal legislation, by-laws of the federation, and the policies and directions of the Board of Directors.
1. With the Board of Directors, sets the vision and strategic plan of the organization with the goal of elevating baseball in the sporting community. Executes the strategic plan with the support of the President and the Board of Directors and develops policies to advance the objectives of Baseball Canada and recommends such policies to the Board for approval. Seeks guidance from the President on all significant matters related to the organization.
2. Attends meetings of the Board of Directors and relevant committees in order provide reliable information and sound advice, and an effective linkage between the will of the Board and the activities of the organization. Provides the President and the Board periodic reports on the operations of the organization, highlighting any significant issues that have arisen or seem likely to arise.
3. Leads and supports senior management in the development and delivery of quality programs, reflecting Board-approved strategic directions, to effectively align operations with the mandate and the evolving requirements of member organizations.
4. Monitors the activities of the organization to ensure that effective management and financial practices are in place and appropriate risk management policies, strategies and contingency plans are effectively employed.
5. Champions the creation and maintenance of an organizational climate that fosters individual excellence and collective commitment to the mandate and operations of the organization and ensures a high degree of employee performance and satisfaction.
6. Directs and manages the organization’s financial and budget activities, reviews grants and applications for funding, reviews and approves program budgets from Directors; ensures that an effective internal audit function is established and that appropriate reviews of the organization’s activities are conducted to ensure proper use of resources in the conduct of operations.
7. Directs human resources activities, including the approval of human resource plans, structure of the organization, staffing activities, development of HR policies and processes, compensation plans, and establishment and maintenance of appropriate succession plans.
8. In conjunction with the Board, advises and instructs legal counsel for Baseball Canada. Ensures that the organization adheres to its statutory responsibilities under the governing Acts and by-laws, and all other applicable statutes.
9. Promotes and enhances the credibility and image of Baseball Canada by communicating the mission, vision and values to internal and external audiences, promoting safe sport and gender equity, thereby building confidence with employees, members and other stakeholders in the reliability of the organization.
10. Establishes and maintains effective working relationship with leaders of member organizations, industry associations, and others to support the achievement of the organization’s mandate.
11. Engages in continuous learning to develop professionally, keep abreast of new technology, and to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Commerce, Sports Management or related field
- Minimum 10 years management experience
- Minimum three years of experience in financial management including budget planning and execution, financial statements, etc.
- Bilingualism is preferred (English/French)
Knowledge and Technical Skills:
- Comprehensive knowledge of all aspects of the sports industry
- Comprehensive knowledge of the CAC (Coaching Association of Canada) and COC (Canadian Olympic Committee)
- By-laws relating to the general conduct of the affairs of the Canadian Federation of Amateur Baseball/Fédération Canadienne de Baseball Amateur, (Baseball Canada), a federal corporation incorporated under the Canada Corporations Act (S.C. c. C-32) and continued under the Canada Not-For-Profit Corporations Act (S.C. 2009, c. 23)
- Comprehensive knowledge of federal and provincial government regulations such as the Employment Standards Act, Ontario Labour Code, Occupational Health and Safety Act)
- Demonstrated proficiency in Human Resources Management
- Knowledge of financial management principles
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Leadership skills
- Strategic planning
- Relationship building
- Impact and influence
- Fundraising Skills
- Business acumen
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Problem solving and decision making
- Creative thinking
- Entrepreneurial drive
- Passion for Baseball; must have a commitment to the vision and mission of Baseball Canada
Hours of work
Standard 40-hour workweek. May be expected to work non-traditional work hours such as weekends, evenings, and holidays if there is an event occurring in that time frame. Local, national, and international travel will be required as necessary to attend multiple events (i.e. Championships) hosted by Baseball Canada.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Baseball Canada is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce. Do not hesitate to contact us if you require alternative arrangements to submit your application. Candidates with a disability requiring accommodation during the interview process should advise.
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada.
If you meet the required qualifications and are interested in the position, please submit your resume and covering letter to Ramona@Caerushr.com by Application Deadline: April 30, 2021. Please reference Baseball CEO in the subject line.
Note: All employment is conditional upon meeting the qualifications of the job and completing and obtaining a satisfactory background check, including employment references and criminal records checks (for which a pardon has not been granted).